Skip to main content

I Did Not Give You Life, Life Gave Me You: A Letter to My Children

My children were born long before I even met them. Being a bonus mama was something I never imagined or pictured myself being in the future. I always pictured meeting the "one," AND THEN creating a family. When I met my husband, I met his children too and I instantly loved them, just as much as much as I did him. With all of my heart. They were a product of who I loved, they were a part of him, and simultaneously, a part of me too. 
I never knew what being a mother was, until I met you. I was not sure I ever wanted to be a mother, until I met you. I did not even know I would be a good mother. Now, I know it is my purpose, a reason for my very being. I never knew I could love so much, sacrifice so much, care so much, until I met you. I never knew I would be so grateful to wake up willingly at the crack of dawn to get breakfast ready, until I met you. I never knew I could care so much for someone's happiness, achievements, and well-being, until I met you.
I have the opportunity to spend every day with you, watch you grow, learn, set goals, accomplish those goals, overcome your fears, take on the world, become your own persons. It is incredible. When I first met your Daddy, you had just started talking in sentences, you were four, and now you're nine, almost ten! Now you have meaningful conversations with me like you are adults! You are so smart, and sassy, and kind, and funny. You have the most colorful and vibrant personalities. I see a lot of myself in you. A lot of my personality, work ethic, and my resilience, which makes me feel very proud. I am glad you look up to me as a person, as much as you do me as a parent. My goal is to raise genuinely happy and kind people, and I have. I am so thankful.
I love our routine, it is my life. It is what is familiar, what I know, what makes me happy. I love waking up in the mornings, doing your hair, getting you on the bus, doing our nightly reading, working on math, eating supper, settling down and watching TV before bed. I love our homemade peanut butter cookies, and when we make breakfast for dinner because Bear is too tired or has work to finish. It is your favorite meal of the week, and mine too. Nothing beats hearing the words "I love you," especially if I feel like I did a terrible job that day. You will always be able to count on me, and me you. 
You have taught me so much about love and life, and so much more about my myself. I love you, always.

- Bear


Comments