Skip to main content

A Mama's Daze on Rainy Days

I woke up this morning, a kid free Saturday, expecting to wake up energized, motivated and ready to take on the day headstrong, finish chores, do school work, until I looked out the kitchen window to see this sight. An instant daze. I do not know what it is about rainy days that make you just want to crawl into a blanket and do nothing else. The vibe is eerie, the wind, chilly. I started the day like I would any other, doing "our" routine just without the kids. Breakfast, water, vitamins, and began to charge my laptop as I started folding a load of laundry. My thoughts, foggy, begging for sunshine to come through the windows. Then, I started on my degree work for the day. Not even an hour into a project and the power goes out? Really? All I could do was huff and puff, "stupid rainy day." Thinking about all things I couldn't get done like laundry and my degree work, instead of just enjoying the daze of a rainy day. To relax, be comfortable, take a break from electronics, forget about chores. I think as moms we often avoid the opportunity to take a break, even in good opportunity, we make excuses to not give ourselves a break because we feel guilty unless every minute of our being is devoted to our children. So as I was sitting in the house frustrated because no "work" was getting done, my husband comes home from work early, unaware the power had been out. He sighs, falls asleep on the couch and says "wake me up when the power comes back on." Okay, will do. There he is sleeping, in our more then quiet, candle lit home. Now I am regretting not taking advantage of my rainy "daze." Why didn't I open up a book, next to a candle, wrapped in a blanket all day, instead of avoiding my "daze," only thriving to be productive all day? Do not ever feel guilty for taking breaks, mamas. Enjoy your "daze" even on rainy days.

Comments